Police body contact details

The PIRC can review complaints about a number of police organisations operating in Scotland.  If you have a complaint about a police body in Scotland, you must first make your complaint with the body concerned to allow them the opportunity to resolve your concerns. 

Police Scotland

From 1 April 2013, Police Scotland replaced the eight regional police forces, as well as the Scottish Crime and Drug Enforcement Agency and the Scottish Police Services Authority.  To make a complaint about Police Scotland, contact the Professional Standards department at:

PO Box 21184 | Alloa | FK10 9DE
Telephone: 101

Scottish Police Authority (SPA)

The Scottish Police Authority is responsible for maintaining policing, promoting policing principles, continuous improvement of policing and holding the Chief Constable to account.  To make a complaint about SPA, contact:

1 Pacific Quay | Glasgow | G51 1DZ
Telephone: 0141 585 8300
Email: complaints@spa.pnn.police.uk

British Transport Police (BTP)

British Transport Police is the national police force for the railways, providing a policing service to passengers, railway staff and rail operators throughout Scotland, England and Wales.  BTP is also responsible for policing the Glasgow underground. To make a complaint about BTP, contact the Professional Standards Department at:

90 Cowcaddens Road | Glasgow | G4 0LU
Telephone: 0800 405040

You can complete an online complaint form at:

British Transport Police Authority (BTPA)

The Forum | 5th Floor North | 74-80 Camden Street | London | NW1 0EG
Telephone: 0207 383 0259
Fax: 0207 383 2655
Email: general.enquiries@btpa.police.uk

Civil Nuclear Constabulary (CNC)

CNC polices civil nuclear licensed sites, nuclear site operators and regulators in Scotland, England and Wales.  To make a complaint about CNC you can contact the Professional Standards Department at the following:

Culham Science Centre | Abingdon | Oxfordshire | OX14 3DB
Telephone: 01235 466606

You can also complete an online complaint form at:

Civil Nuclear Police Authority

H280 Hinton House | Birchwood Park Avenue | Risley, Warrington | WA3 6AS 
Telephone: 01925 833300 
Fax: 01925 833301
Email: info@cnpa.pnn.police.uk

Ministry of Defence Police

Ministry of Defence Police and Guarding Agency provides policing and guarding services to the Defence Community, both military and civilian.  To find out more about making a complaint you can contact MDPGA:

Professional Standards Department
Wethersfield | Braintree | Essex | CM7 4AZ
Telephone: 01371 854000

The National Crime Agency  

Units 1-6 Citadel Place | Tinworth Street | London | SE11 5EF
Tel: 0370 496 7622

In addition, the Commissioner may review complaints from the public and undertake investigations of any serious incidents involving an immigration officer, general customs officials, customs revenue official or other relevant individual acting in the exercise of specified enforcement functions in Scotland.

The Home Office

2 Marsham Street
Tel: 020 7035 4848

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC)  

HMRC is the UK's tax authority. It is responsible for making sure that the money is available to fund the UK's public services and for helping families and individuals with targeted financial support.

Find out more about complaining to HMRC